|Def Poet's Society|
|Season 1, Episode 07|
|Air Date||October 22, 1990|
|Next||Someday Your Prince Will Be in Effect (Part 1)|
Def Poet's Society is the seventh episode of the first season from the television sitcom on The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, which was first broadcast on October 22, 1990. It was directed by Debbie Allen and written by Andy Borowitz and Susan Borowitz.
The family pressures Will to enter an after-school program. Following the girls into a poetry class, he makes up a poem on the spot to impress them and claims it was written by a poet named Rafael de la Ghetto, a name he spontaneously came up with on the spot.
Impressed, Christina asks to bring him to Poetry Night and after Jazz doesn't come through with an impostor, Will turns to Geoffrey to masquerade. While Geoffrey does a good job convincing the crowd he is de la Ghetto, they chant for an encore as they did in Geoffrey's youth, causing him to recite "Cannons, to the left of them. Cannons, to the right of them. Volleyed and Thundered." while dropping his gruff accent he was using as de la Ghetto. Christina is angered that Will lied about knowing de la Ghetto but Jazz steps in to help out by claiming to be de la Ghetto and reciting Will's poem from earlier with his barbecue pick-up line at the end.
Though Jazz ultimately scores a date with Christina, the family compliments Will for his talent as a poet as his poem was well-received at poetry night and even helped Carlton and Ashley score dates.
- This is the third time Will speaks directly to the camera.
- In syndication, they skipped over the part where Will tells Uncle Phil and Aunt Viv they can't come to Poetry Night.
- This is the Jazz's second appearance.
- The glasses Geoffrey wears while reciting the poem are Jazz's glasses.
- Also, when he recites the poem, he speaks with an American accent instead of his usual British accent.
- The title is a combination of Def Jam, a hip-hop record label, and the 1989 film Dead Poets Society starring the late Robin Williams.
- It's unknown how Geoffrey managed to get a disguise since he was already at the school.