|Love at First Fight|
|Airdate||February 18, 1991|
|Written by|| Lisa Rosenthal |
|Directed by||Jeff Melman|
One of Vivian's students, Kayla Samuels (Jasmine Guy) comes over for dinner and Will tries to impress her, but fails. Eventually, Will wins her over and inadvertently starts taking time away from her studies, so Aunt Viv tells him to cut back on their relationship so Kayla can have a good future. Vivian winds up lecturing Kayla and revealing things about her owns struggles to be successful.
- Will Smith as Will Smith
- James Avery as Phillip Banks
- Janet Hubert as Vivian Banks
- Alfonso Ribeiro as Carlton Banks
- Karyn Parsons as Hilary Banks
- Tatyana Ali as Ashley Banks
- Joseph Marcell as Geoffrey Butler
Special Guest Star
- Jasmine Guy as Kayla Samuels
- Carol Barbee as Pamela
- Vivian: Will, if you get a bad grade, we ground you and make sure you bring your grade back up. For Kayla, if she gets a bad grade, she could lose her scholarship and there's no second chance.
- Vivian (to Will): That bad grade could mean the difference between Dr. Kayla Samuels who runs a hospital or just Kayla who cleans it.
- Kayla: Let me tell you something. I got four older sisters, all of them mamas before they was 18. None of them finished high school. Everybody's waiting for Kayla. I'm the last chance for the whole damn family and you have no idea what that feels like.
- Vivian: Oh, I know what that feels like. And I know what it feels like to clean hotel rooms during the day and go to school at night, just to get the high school diploma I didn't get.
- Will: Aunt Viv, y-you dropped out of high school?
- Vivian: It's not something I'm proud of, but I did it. My whole family was counting on me too, but I couldn't handle the pressure. So I ran off with some guy and quit school. By the time I realized I made a mistake it was too late: I was left with no education and nothing I was qualified to do. It took me years to get back. (to Kayla) And honey, if you're wondering why I fit in so well here, it's because I worked damn hard to get here and I know I deserve it. The problem is that you don't know you deserve it.
- The episode name is a play on the phrase "Love at first sight."
- Goof: In this episode, Will says he's no good with math, but in "The Ethnic Trip", Vivian says that Will does well in math. ~ Will also said he wasn't good at French, but then spoke it fluently. It is safe to assume that Will was trying to dissociate from Kayla, that he wasn't speaking the strict truth and was trying to use the points Vivian made in favour of Kayla, against her so he didn't have to help Kayla.